Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Day Before, Life Goes On...

Rush, Rush, Rush...Pack, Pack, Pack....Goodbye, Goodbye, Goodbye...If you want the paraphrased version of my week, well there it is! However, I am going to share my last two days and conclude at the point that I am at right now.

Tuesday I went to work, and I met the teacher that will be replacing me. I was so nervous because this person will be taking all my classes and will be a big part of my student's education and lives. Now, some may say that I can be a tad bit controlling (hey gimme a break!:), but all I thought was "pssh, this person can't handle my job" or "they won't love my kids they way I did!" So, I met the teacher and he seemed very nice and opened-minded, but also nervous about starting this job. I ended up training him, getting to know his experience, and I was so happy that he was a truly down-to-earth young guy. He interacted with the kids, played games, made them laugh, and was just an awesome replacement! I felt so good about leaving after that because I know that he will develop a great relationship with the students. I also realized, that as much as I love these kids, it is time to move on for me and for them. For the three years they have been in school, they have seen teachers come and go. Now, it was my time to go and to leave them with a teacher that will continue the work that I put in this last year.

Tuesday night, I went to Seoul and met with my namja-chingu (a.k.a. boyfriend) and had dinner with him one last time. He is going to Australia for 6 months and I will be in America for 6 months. At the end of February, we will meet in Ilsan and I'll start a new job. Anway, so we met for dinner and I was doing really well at holding it together! Then, he said he had to go back to Ilsan to meet his family and I started crying :( It was the type of crying that you can't talk and if you do, it'll be high-pitched and squeaky. So I just cried. We ended up parting at the subway and I cried the whole way home. I am going to miss him so much, but ever since we started dating almost one year ago, he has been talking about Australia. I am so proud of him and happy that he is going to have this experience!

Wednesday was my last day at ECC. I just tried not to think about it, because I still had a job to do and I wanted to do it well until the very end. However, the kids were coming up to me and hugging me and saying "Teacher don't go!" So, it was a bit hard to ignore my leaving. After lunch, I had a snack party with my Fabre class and then went to my Edison class and had a snack party with them. Edison made me a big card that had pictures and notes form the kids on it. I was so special and I can't wait to show my family and friends! As we were sitting there, the last period of the day, Fabre walks in with cards for me. My Korean partner teachers gave me flowers and the kids sang to me. I started crying and hugged all my students. Then it was time to go home and I took my Edison babies to the bus one last time. I cried again, of course :) and said my last goodbye. But, as I said before they will have a great time with the new teacher and I will have a great time at home! Elementary was very nice. My Post-Kindy class were all so sad and they brought a cake and orange juice and we had a party. After school ended, I stayed awhile and cleaned up my desk and said my goodbyes to the Korean teachers. Bittersweet is an understatment!

Wednesday night, I went out to Galbi, or Korean barbaque, with the teachers and had my last taste of that delicious meal. It is just big slabs of pork on an open bbq at your table. The best part is all the side dishes of vegetables, soups, and rice! Yummy! After dinner, we went to the chicken restaurant and had a few beers. I was just so exhausted mentally and physically that I had a hard time enjoying a night of celebration. But, I did get to see a lot of people and say my goodbyes. I like having closure and that means saying goodbye, even if it's difficult to do.

Thursday, I woke up bright and early and started my final tasks of leaving Korea. I packed most of my stuff and realized I don't have as much as I thought I did! Awesome! :) I went to the bank and sent all my money home and closed my account. That was a moment that set into reality I was leaving, they cut up my bank card! I was shocked when the cut it and got a little emotional! After the bank, I walked home and, oh surprise, cried again haha. It's just unbelievable to me, that I have survived a year in this country. This is the place that has become my home and now I'm leaving it. But the plus side is that I am leaving this temporary home, to go to my real home!!! I just went and had lunch in a kimbap-nara and oh boy it was good! I had the cheesy-donggasuh, which is deep-friend pork and rice. Not the healthiest of meals, but it's worth it! Now, I am sitting in a PC bong, or computer room, writing this message. Soon, I will be off to my home to finish my packing.

In two days, I will be sitting in my parent's kitchen, writing my final blog of this year in Korea. It has been happy, sad, stressful, exciting, difficult, enjoyable, and any other emotion you can think of. I will never regret my decision to come here, and I will remember this year for the rest of my life. The lessons I have learned about myself and what I can apply to my future, will be with me forever. See you all soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment