Monday, February 27, 2012

Round Two....Here We Go!

It's been six months since my last blog, and so many wonderful things have happened in this time. I feel so blessed to have spent that time at home with my friends and family. After I settled in, I started working a part-time job and enjoying the time I craved so dearly while being in Korea. Now, I am sitting in my apartment in Ilsan, Korea and reflecting on the memories of Michigan.

Other than working at home, I was able to spend all the great American holidays with my family. This past Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas will be the ones that I'll remember when I'm homesick for the next round of holidays. My mom and I created and explosion of Christmas in our house and the hours we spent was worth the pride of our creation. I was able to be in my best friend's wedding, and be apart of such an epic step in her and her husband's lives. My time was also spent re-connecting with family members and sharing in great experiences with them. How lucky am I?! I have been in Korea for one week, and even though the homesickness will always be lurking in the background, I can't help but think how incredible this year is going to be.

Saying good-bye is always hard, but this time was even harder. The last time I said goodbye to my family, I was unbelievably sad, scared, and a little excited about coming to Korea. This time, I was so excited about this adventure, but even more sad. When I left for the first journey, I had no idea what it actually felt like to be away from home for one year. After experiencing how difficult it can be, it was so much harder to walk away from my parents and sister at the airport one week ago. I know what it feels like, and all I kept thinking on the airplane is "Why am I putting myself through this again?" But just after one week of a new city, new school, and new friends, I have my answer.

Ilsan is just amazing. There are no other words to describe how comfortable I am here. There is an incredible energy in the city and the people are so much more laid-back. Everything I could ever need, material-wise, is right outside my door. I live in the cutest little apartment that I have already decorated to make it my own. I am so proud of my home! The friends I have made are so awesome and I am in awe of how great I get along with everyone. I have also re-connected with my original friends from Uijeongbu and it doesn't even feel like six months have gone by. This sense of establishment in just one week makes me feel that round two of Korea is going to be a lot different from the first.

To say that my school is perfect, is an understatement. The staff is just wonderful. They are so nice and, unlike last time, the Korean teachers do not discriminate against the foreign teahers. We are treated as equal employees at the school. The bosses could qualify as the best bosses in the entire world! Sounds cheesy, but it's true. Anything, and I mean anything, that I want or desperately need they will do everything they can to provide it. I was apprehensive to ask about internet in my apartment, but when I did, the bosses had the internet installed before I got home from work that day. Anything I purchase for my apartment will be paid for half by the school. It's very traditional and customary in Korea to take care of people around you, so the school provides two meals everyday for the teachers. If we are ever sick or need ANYTHING, the school will help. What lucky straw did I pull?! The school is the same as ECC in the sense that it is a private school and the parents expect a lot from the teachers, but minus the pressure of completing an almost impossible list of ridiculous tasks, I know that I will be able to put my soul into being a great teacher.

My parents were extrememly apprehensive about me returning to Korea. They had good reason too. After the not so great experiences of last year, I tried to re-assure them that this year was going to be different. I did my research on the school, talked to people who worked there, and communicated with the supervisor. My hard-worked paid off and I have set myself up in one of the best jobs I could ever ask for. My parents are so happy and feel almost relaxed about their baby girl living in a foreign county 6,000+ miles away.

My goal this year is to experience everything that I didn't the first time. I want to do the usual touristy things, but I also want to do things that people would never do if they just visited Korea. I want to go to a hot spring, do a temple-stay and live like a monk for the weekend, hike up the Soyosan mountain, volunteer at an orphanage, boat ride down the Han River, and so much more. I hope you all continue to enjoy reading my blog and welcome back to another year in my Seoul!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mallory,

    I found your blog while doing a search for ECC in Uijeongbu. I'm going to be teaching there this summer. It will be my first time in Korea and first time teaching. I'm extremely excited but also a bit nervous. :-) Do you have any advice or information about the school that you feel would be useful?

    Thanks a lot,
    Crystal D. Hust

    If you would prefer to e-mail me:
    hust30@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blogging Mal. Two things I learned. Probably way too quiet a place for noisy Greeks, and that great care is given to those around them. So glad to hear you are doing good and are happy with your job. - Rhoda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mallory,

    I am also planning to teach in Uijeongbu ECC this summer, I have an interview coming up for a couples position. I'm not sure which ECC it is, as far as I'm aware there are two in Uijeongbu. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the ECC schools and was wondering if you could give me some advice on whether to accept if we are offered a position. You can contact me by email: jenny.leys@gmail.com

    Would be really grateful if you could give us some info!

    Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete