Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Advice Column

I can't believe how quickly the time has flown by. I have already been in Korea for five weeks and I already feel so comfortable here again. My new and old friends have been keeping me busy and I have spent so much time exploring my new city. I can't wait to start doing more things once the weather warms up. Come on spring, where are you!?

For this post, I have decided to write an advice column about the things that I have learned over the past year and have remembered in the past five weeks. My new chingues in Ilsan are still learning about Korea and the way of the country, so I decided to put this in my blog. So here it goes!

The Official List of What I Wish I Knew Before...

What to bring (and not to bring):
-Deodorant! I can't express this enough! Deodorant can only be found in foreign markets, and it is about 3 times the price. Also, they most likely will not have your favorite brand. Koreans don't need to wear deodorant, ever. They sweat, but don't emit body-odor. Grrr to them!

-Floss. I was able to find floss at HomePlus, but it looks pretty sketchy and I don't trust it. I would like to know if anyone has tried it, but I brought 8 containers of floss anyway.

-Ladies, don't fret. Tampons, even Western brands, are everywhere. The first year I was here I brought a year supply because everyone told me to, but I got here and was shocked to see Playtex and Tampax at HomePlus and Lotte Mart. Also, they are only about 2-3 dollars more than home.

-Medications. If you require special meds for any condition, make sure to bring enought to last you until a friend or family member can send more. That also goes for over-the-counter meds. I brought Nyquil and Sinus meds with me because Korea has a very strict policy on medication. Their meds, even cold meds, are usually weak because Korea is so anti-drug.

-Memories from home. The first year I was here, my suitcases consisted of clothes, tampons, and toiletries. Skip the tampons and toiletries and be sure to pack special things from home. Pictures, a stuffed animal, a special statue or figurine, or anything that you want to have. It's more important to feel comforted with things that remind you of home then to have the fourteen bottles of shampoo.

-Make-up. No need to bring! Korean women are very into their looks and appearance that beauty supply stores are everywhere and their products are good quality. Some people will warn you about using facial creams here because they have whitneing agents in them. However, if the cream does, it is usually labeled. Korean's want to have white skin, so they bleach their skin. If you want products from home, Maybelline and Covergirl are very popular and only a couple dollars more.

-Toiletries. My advice is to bring travel size shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and lotion. This is just to get you through the first couple days until you can go to the store. I love the shampoo I purchased here. It's called Mise En Scene and my hair feels great! Also, they have brands from home if you're nervous about trying something else. Body wash and lotion comes in a huge variety and I have never been unsatissfied.

-Toothpaste. I like the Korean brand and have had no complaints about my breath :) However, if you're particular to something from home then bring it because you will NOT find it here.

-Clothes. Everyone will say that if you are a bigger person, then bring lots of clothes. This is really only true for guys. Taller guys will have trouble, but girls will be able to find lots of clothes! This can be a dangerous thing if you like to shop! Unless you are an abnormally tall or large girl, then don't worry about being able to find clothes.

-Shoes. Also very dangerous. Korean's love their shoes! I pair of cute high heels will only set you back about 15-20 dollars. In American sizes, I can wear anything from a 7.5-8.5 depending on the shoe. I fall into the larger sizes for Korean shoes. So that would be a 245-250 in Korean sizes.

-Adapters, Converters. Make sure you have all your electronics sorted out for converters or adapters. It will make your technological life so much better!

Where to go for...
-Dentist. Korean dentists are somewhat of a new concept here. The dentists don't have to practice any particular hygenic rules when it comes to patients. I have heard horror stories of people going to Korean dentists and the dentists not wearing gloves or washing their hands. So, when I had to have a wisdom tooth removed, I did my research! I found a wonderful dentist in Gangnam (a bit far, but worth it for my teeth) who is certified by the American Dental Association and practices according to American dental standards. Everything is clean and you definitely feel at home in her office. It is called Tufts Dental Clinic.

-Doctor. You will soon discover that Korean's go to the hospital for everything. If they have a cough or even a small cut on their finger, they go to the hospital. Most hospitals will have English speaking staff, but since you are foreign, you can probably tough it out with a band-aid.

-Internet. When you first arrive in Korea. You will most likely not have internet access. This is easily solved with a lovely haven called a PC Room. It is a room filled with computers and costs about 1 dollar per hour. It will usually be filled with kids playing computer games.


What to be open-minded about:
EVERYTHING. Nothing upsets me more, than foreigners who come to Korea and have an attitude when things aren't the same back home. You are in a foreign country! The point of coming here was for new experiences and not all experiences are going to be pleasant! Just remember, you are a guest here and will always be treated as a second-rate citizen because you are not Korean. Deal with it, and move on. Don't let the few negative things, effect your whole experience.

What to do while in Korea:
-DMZ. It's a must! I am going again. Even if you aren't a huge War-buff, it's still great to go. You actually get to see and walk a part of history!

-Jeju Island. This is a tough one for me, but if you have the time and money, it's nice to go to a tropical place. I had a great time, but one time is enough for me.

-Busan. If you like the beach and you like being on a beach with 500,000+ people then hit up Busan. The nightlife is pretty amazing too!

-MudFest. This is a festival celelbrating the special mud in Boeryong (I'm not making this up). Basically, you just get muddy and drunk and pass out on the beach. Just like Jeju, I did it once and that's enough :)

-The War Memorial. This is up for debate. If you enjoy history and want to learn more about Korea, then go! I wanted to take pictures for my grandfather who was in the Korean war and I had a very humbling experience at the War Memorial. The museum focuses mostly on the Korean War, but also highlights the wars in Korean history. It was a nice day trip and very educational.

-The Lantern Festival. This was absolutely breath-taking! The lanterns are gorgeous and colorful and are everywhere! I would suggest the Insa-dong area for a great experience. Also, you get to see a lot of the Buddhist traditions come alive in Korea as well. Make sure to get a good spot for the parade as well!

How to behave in Korea:
-On the Subway or Bus. Since you are foreign, you are expected to abide by all the rules of Korea and if you put one toe out of line, people will get angry with you. So when you are on the bus or subway, it is an unspoken, but very strict rule, that you do not talk or make noise. It may seem ridiculous but this is Korea. Even if you are sitting next to your friend and whispering, people may look at you with a nasty look. Also, the subways have reserved seats for the handicapped, elderly, and families, so DO NOT sit there! It is very frowned up. If the reserved seats are full and you were lucky enough to have snagged a regular seat, always be cautious. If someone who needs a reserved seat gets on the subway, you should offer your seat to them. BUT, if it is someone who is elderly, make sure they are VERY elderly. You don't want to offend a middle aged woman by offering your seat. They aren't so kind when you suggest that they are old! I learned that the hard way haha!

-In Public. Kind of the same as on the subway or bus, but when you are walking down the street try not to be too loud. Whether it's talking or laughing, do it quietly and with as little attention as possible. You will notice that some Korean people do not follow these rules, but you are foreign and people take more notice to if you do something wrong versus a Korean person.

-At the Store. Again, quietness is the number one rule. However, at the store it is always loud and busting with people and families. Try to stay close to your cart and leisurely looking at items is considered odd. So make it snappy!

-In General. Just always try to be respectful. Whether it's in a cab, paying for something, or asking a question. Do not walk up to someone and just start speaking English. It is quite offensive. How would you feel if someone just walked up to you and started speaking Korean? Clearly you aren't Korean, so why would you expect someone to be a fluent English speaker in Korea. So, try to learn some basic conversational questions in Korean.


WOW! This is a long blog, but I am glad I was able to write about everything I wish I had known before. If anyone has any questions or wants further clarification, then please leave a comment!

As far as my personal life so far, I am currently getting over being sick :( Almost all of my students have colds right now and since my kids love hugging, climbing, and touching me, I got sick too! Hand sanitizer only goes so far. Other than that, things have been pretty mundane but once the weather gets warmer, I'll be exploring a lot more! Off for now! Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment